42.5 hours per week, Full Time hours to include alternative weekends, 3-month contract
We are looking for a Garden Centre Operations Manager for our Evesham Garden Centre. This exciting opportunity will cover many aspects of running a Blue Diamond Garden Centre including stock management, customer service and communication, HR and Payroll plus much more.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Blue Diamond culture of driving sales must be supported by strong stock management by ensuring all Managers (Department Heads), Goods In and Till Colleagues understand their key responsibilities in achieving this objective. GOCM’s must lead and engage.
GCOM’s are responsible for maintaining accurate stock files, thus reflecting accurate profit margins.
This approach ensures that all stock variances will be resolved and those unknown will be clearly determined to be shrinkage(theft).
The GCOM is accountable for reducing shrinkage across all areas of the business to the agreed company guidelines.
The Category Heads and CREMS will have full stock responsibility across the centre and you will communicate with your Manager (Department Heads).
To maintain an accurate stock file, it is essential to ensure all shop floor staff, goods in and till staff have an excellent overall understanding of stock control and the current epos system to be able to record and amend data.
• Ensure all Blue Diamond procedures are adhered to as stipulated by the stock management audit/bible.
• Ensure all staff are given full initial training in all areas of using the epos system that is applicable to them to enable them to carry out their job and maintain accurate stock levels.
Customer Service and Communication
• Ensure there are high standards of customer service across the Centre, leading by example and focusing all employees on delivering the very best in customer service practices. Create a customer centric culture which removes any barriers that promote a negative customer experience.
• To monitor and review customer service levels through online customer feedback, compliment slips, and customer reviews on social media platforms and take immediate action on dealing with any identified areas for improvement. Ensure that all media platform reviews are responded to in a professional and timely manner.
• Customer Loyalty targets and a daily focus should be set each week and reviewed in the huddles to keep the teams focused on providing the best service to our customers through the Blue Diamond loyalty scheme.
• Provide relevant content and information on the group’s digital channels such as local Facebook and Garden Centre web pages, to promote the Garden Centre activities and promotions to encourage a wider audience to visit the centre.
Centre Management and Appearance
• The GOCM will hold weekly Manager (Department Head) meetings to ensure all aspects of the business are discussed at high level.
• It is also important that the customer journey, communal areas and tills are kept to the agreed standard and managed accordingly. Impress the look and feel of the centre by creative visual merchandising.
• To actively support the Manager (Department Heads) in the resolution of staffing shortages on a daily basis.
• To floor walk the centre regularly during each day to ensure that its overall appearance and presentation is always “ready for trade” with particular emphasis on cleanliness, availability of trollies and baskets, adequate staff numbers on the shop floor to facilitate strong customer service levels and to constantly review those customer service levels.
• To ensure that all marketing tools such as POS (and associated offers) and banners are always in the right place at the right time across the centre and to take action where needed.
• To ensure that all staff are of a smart appearance and wearing the appropriate staff uniform where required along with their name badge.
• To ensure the housekeeping of the garden centres grounds, car parking, pathways, borders and other facilities including toilets are kept to the same high standard of presentation.
• To be responsible for the overall control of the centre and ensure that all costs of the business are managed in line with the budget. This will include reviewing the monthly management accounts, understanding the detail of each cost category and creating an action plan where costs are not in line with budget.
• To be responsible for managing the Centre’s overheads within the framework of the budget including staffing, maintenance, training, and any other related cost control, benchmarking performance against similar centres and taking advice and support from within the Group as and when required.
• To have an overview and understanding of the Centre’s overall commercial performance as defined by the weekly Potential Opportunities report (profit, footfall, wastage and stock) and to report any concerns or questions to the relevant CREM and if unresolved escalate to appropriate Category Head or Operations Team.
HR and Payroll
• To be responsible for carrying out employee relations processes as and when needed (such as grievances, disciplinary and managing poor performance) under the advice of Group HR and/or the relevant CREM or Category Head. This will normally be related to colleagues at General Assistant and supervisor level as Category Heads will have direct responsibility for managing Managers (Department Heads).
• To be responsible for coordinating and signing off the monthly payroll submissions and audit reports in a timely fashion and in accordance with the Group’s established processes.
• To ensure that all new members of staff receive their offer letters and contracts of employment using the agreed template documents filed on SharePoint and that they have completed their e learning and Centre Induction before commencing work.
• To be the “eyes and ears” across the Centre for monitoring employee morale, engagement and interaction with the business and reporting back to the Managers (Department Heads), Category Head, CREM or Group HR as needed.
Health and Safety
• To take the lead on ensuring compliance to the Group’s approach to Health and Safety. To ensure that daily check sheets are completed accurately and any action points escalated accordingly.
• To carry out audits and risk assessments to all relevant aspects of the business and to ensure that when tasks have been delegated to staff they are carried out in the correct way and that additional layers are not added to the process unnecessarily.
Who are we?
Blue Diamond Group is the 2nd largest Garden Centre Group, with 37 centres throughout the UK and in the Channel Islands and we are continuously growing. Our centres are widely regarded as some of the best in the country and we have won many retail and restaurant awards. Our extensive refurbishment programme ensures that our centres and restaurants offer style and innovation in an aspirational environment which encourages loyalty and satisfaction from our customers. We invite you to look at our website and view pictures and videos of recent developments such as East Bridgford and Redfields.
As well as a rewarding career with potential for career development, you can expect a competitive salary, attractive staff discount and paid holidays.
If you like the sound of a fantastic fast-growing company with a great heritage and want to make a positive contribution to a business which in return helps all employees to maximise their full potential, then we would like to hear from you! CLICK HERE TO APPLY